Workshop: 5G Private Networks (5G-NPNs)
8th June 2020
The first edition of workshop on 5G Non-Public Networks (5G-NPNs) took place on June 8th at the 2021 joint EuCNC and 6G Summit. It was a full day workshop (zoom room) with four sessions, two in the morning and two in the afternoon. Around 70 attendees joined the workshop.
It was organized by 12 5G-PPP projects working on 5G NPNs, recognized experts in this area. The workshop provided a holistic view of NPNs, covering from vertical use cases, operation aspects, business models, trials and emerging technologies.
A private 5G network, known as Non-Public Network (NPN) in 3GPP terminology, allows the use of 5G technologies to create a dedicated network with unified connectivity, optimised services and a secure means of communication within a specific area. A private network can be run either by the company itself or a third party, based on the same or different spectrum owned by mobile network operators.
The private networks 5G market is expected to see significant growth in the next few years. A recent study estimates the private LTE and 5G network market in $4.7 Billion in annual spending in 2020 and it is expected to growth nearly $8 billion by the end of 2023. This study estimates that as much as 30% of that investment will be directed towards the build-out of private 5G networks, as 5G becomes the preferred wireless connectivity medium to support Industry 4.0 and other verticals. Private networks are positioned to address the increasing demand for access to communication services by vertical industries, pushing a true digital transformation across manufacturing industries and other verticals.
The agenda of the session was:
Vertical Use Cases for 5G Private Network
- 5G-ACIA: Shaping the Industrial 5G Revolution (Xueli An, Huawei, 5G-ACIA).
- 5Growth NPN Deployment Solutions & Industry 4.0 Pilot Examples (Xi Li, NEC, 5Growth).
- 5G NPNs for Process Monitoring (Niels König, Fraunhofer IPT, 5G-SMART).
- Autonomous Edge 5G Private Network Requirements for Smart Factories (Nikolaos Tzanis, University of Patras, 5G-VICTORI).
- 5G-enabled AGVs for NPN Production Lines in Manufacturing (Manuel Fuentes, Fivecomm, 5G-INDUCE).
- 5G for Military Use (Kennet Noland, Norwegian Defense Material Agency, 5G-VINNI+FUDGE-5G).
- On the Role of 5G NPNs for Mission Critical Services (Ki-Won Sun, KTH, PriMO-5G).
- The role of 5G Non-Public Networks for Media Production (Jordi J. Gimenez, EBU, 5G-RECORDS).
Operation of 5G Private Networks
- Outlook for operator adoption of 5G Private Networks (Jose Ordonez-Lucena, Telefonica, 5G-VINNI+5Growth+5G-Clarity).
- High-Tech and Affordable 5G Private Network Roll-Out to Every Corner (Sergio Gonzalez, Atos, Affordable 5G).
- Towards efficient 5G NPN Readiness and Testing, addressing the Industry 4.0 challenges of SMEs (Hakon Lonsethagen, Telenor, 5G-Solutions).
- Operation of 5G NPNs: Industry Sector Considerations for Deployment and Sustainability (Simon Fletcher, Real Wireless, 5G-TOURS).
Emerging Technologies for 5G Private Networks
- Seamless integration of TSN into 5G NPNs for Industry 4.0 (Jose Costa, Cumucore, 5G-SMART+FUDGE-5G+5G-RECORDS).
- Cloud Deployments of 5G NPNs: the Athonet Connectivity Platform (Daniele Munaretto, Athonet, FUDGE-5G).
- Cloud Native Service-Based Architecture Deployment Considerations for NPNs: An Evolution of NFV (Sebastian Robitzsch, InterDigital, FUDGE-5G).
- Making (Virtualized) Service Interactions More Flexible Within and Across 5G Private Networks (Dirk Trossen, Huawei, FUDGE-5G).